As the name implies, your main duty is to make every yard and garden you touch as pretty as those in the cover of home and gardening magazines. Landscapers typically perform a variety of tasks such as sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, and installing a sprinkler system.
Other duties and responsibilities include:
- Caring for established lawns
- Trimming and edging around flower beds, walks, and walls
- Mixing and spreading fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees using manual or automatic sprayers and spreaders.
- Planting seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, trees, and shrubs, and then applying mulch to ensure their protection.
- Decorating gardens with stones and plants.
- Executing and following landscaping designs.
- Gathering and removing litter.
As a landscaper, the salary can range from about $15-$30 per hour. However, rates do vary by experience and the location of the employer. Landscapers with more experience usually earn bigger salaries.