Traveling with kids is a rewarding yet challenging experience, and as a nanny or private educator, you want to set yourself up for a great trip. Packing, planning, and general preparedness will save you in those inevitable moments when melting ice cream cones, sudden thirst, bathroom accidents, or skinned knees, threaten to wreck the day. Keep reading for our travel tips, and a general packing list to get you started on your journey.
10 Travel Tips With Kids:
1. Stay positive no matter what. One person’s attitude can change the entire experience, and traveling with kids is all about rolling with it. You have the power to turn any stressful experience into an adventure!
2. Less is more! Seriously. Bring as little as possible and leave room for souvenirs!
3. Pack patterned and darker-colored clothes to hide the occasional stain– keeping whites clean while traveling can be impossible! Also, Tide-to-go is a travel staple.
4. Have brightly colored outer layers that are easily spot-able in airports and foreign playgrounds. Reversible jackets are perfect for travel – down jackets are super compressible!
5. Bring more underwear for everyone than you think is necessary. It takes up very little room and you always need more than you think! Of all the things you could re-wear in a pinch, undies shouldn’t be one of them.
6. Write your phone number on the kids’ arms in case they get lost and need to call you.
7. Stash a few portable chargers in various bags in case of emergency, and be sure to have your phone on you! Backup battery packs can be a lifesaver if you get separated from your bags at any point. They can be used to power your mobile devices including iPads and laptops.
8. Download google maps of the area and save them on your phone to avoid data charges or poor reception. Here’s how!
9. E-mail yourself a list of fun things to do with kids in the area before you go. There are loads of excellent sources for this- google them before you go!
10. Make the memories last forever by putting together a photo book as a gift to the family.
What To Pack?
General Packing For A Trip With Kids:
- Several darker-colored or patterned tops – whites on kids are hard to keep clean while traveling!Basic pants, leggings, shorts, skirts, and dresses – also darker colors and patterns to hide stains! Don’t bring anything that requires special washing instructions, unless you traveling for a special event.
- Plenty of clean underwear – bring more than you think you need! It takes up little space and always comes in handy.
- Warm clothes and jackets -bring the brightest outer layers they have so the kids are easy to spot in busy airports or piazzas! Down jackets are great because they are super compressible.
- Sun block – make sure it isn’t expired!
- Bug Spray
- Sun hats
- Water bottles
- Crayons + coloring books (square and triangle crayons are great for travel- they don’t roll!)
- A few toys and activity books
- Camera and film or extra digital memory
- Entertainment (IPad, Videos, Audiobooks, Games)
- Chargers + extra batteries
- Familiar and loved snacks
- Medications and prescriptions, motion sickness pills, Tylenol
- First aid kit
- Tide To Go
- Hand sanitizer/wipes for faces, surfaces, and spills.
Packing For A Baby:
- Easy to wash outfits and swaddles
- Warm clothes for bundling
- Car seat
- Travel stroller
- Collapsible crib/playpen
- Diapers + plastic bags (for disposing of dirty diapers)
- Lotion + powder
- Extra bottles + nipples
- Breast pump
For The Car:
- Paper towels
- Garbage bags/freezer bags
- Books, coloring books, and games
- First-aid kit
- Drinks and snacks!
For The Plane:
- Carry-on bag with a change of clothes
- Compact stroller
- Small (quiet) toys for the flight
- Cling stickers for the window
- Any soothing stuffed animals or comfort blankets
- iPad or tablet
- Battery bank for mobile devices
- Neck pillows
- Snacks — anything familiar and loved by the kids
What would you add to the list? We’d love to hear your suggestions. Happy Travels!
SOURCE: Adventure Nannies